29 January 2012

What I've Got

Some days, things sneak up on you that you didn't expect. Today has been one of those days for me. The icing on the cake was hearing my roomie, in passing, comment that she didn't like our apartment because there was no dishwasher or garbage disposal. I'm sure she was just making a comment and I'm sure she thought nothing of what she was saying. The on-campus apartment I call home (which I think is totally kick-ass) apparently doesn't have some of the amenities she is used to. Her comment got me thinking.

I don't have a dishwasher...but I have running water.
I don't have a garbage disposal...but I have the money to buy trash bags.
I don't have the best looking car...but it gets me where I need to go.
I don't have the newest smartphone...but I got mine for a penny.
I don't have a 4.0 GPA...but I'm still going to graduate.
I don't have any scholarships...but I know how to defend my beliefs.
I'm not part of a clique...but I know how to listen to different opinions without arguments breaking out.
I don't have brand name clothes...but the clothes I have fit me.
I don't own new clothes...but I'm comfortable with my own body.
I don't have the newest game system...but I have more books than my bookshelves can hold.
I don't have a large group of friends...but the ones I do have I wouldn't trade in for anything.
I haven't got much money...but I know how to save up for what I want.

I'm not sure when it became a trend to complain about what you don't have. I've got good health - I very rarely get sick. I have the most supportive family anybody could ask for and four amazing parents who I know I could talk to about anything under the sun. I've got two dogs at home, both of whom are in great health and love me as only a pet can. I have amazing talent as a writer and I have the ability to recognize my own worth. I've got a roof over my head with no worry about monthly bills since I'm in on campus housing. I have the opportunity to go to college and spent the next 15 years of my life paying back loans. I'm going to leave this place with a degree in hand, a degree I worked to earn. Why do so many people talk about what they don't have and only focus on areas they're lacking in? I don't understand it. I guess I never will.

1 comment:

lynette355 said...

Girl you have it all right! You have a good life, surrounded by love and friends, a brilliant mind that works and the ability to always pull yourself up by the bootstraps. All of that will get you anywhere you dream of in this world.