08 August 2011

Writer Woes

My 50k work from July is currently hovering around the 55k mark on word count. No chapters yet, very little editing, and a 10k scene still waiting to be re-written after it got eaten up by human error. My main character is falling rather flat and seems to be humming the same old tune and many of my villains simply refuse to make a real appearance on the page. It's possible I've got too many villains running around and not enough heroes. Yeah, that's probably it. More heroes though... That means more characters which I'll have to introduce now and then remember to add in to earlier segments once the editing begins in full force.

It's true what they say - writing can be a very lonely profession. I spent the last month writing during almost every spare moment I had. Now, in August, I'm volunteering to do the same thing. Now to remember where I left my mind... My characters may have absconded with it weeks ago.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (Hamlet, Act II, scene 2)
"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't." (Hamlet, Act II, scene 2)
"This above all: to thine own self be true." (Hamlet, Act I, scene 3)
"When writing a novel, that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: 'House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day.'" - Neil Gaiman


2 comments:

lynette355 said...

Writing is a event....one that has starts, finishes, rewrites and even more so.....time to ponder story lines. In all of that your voice will be heard...give it time.

Megan said...

I'm at the opposite end of the problem. I've finished mine, and now I'm not sure where to go from here. I actually got very sad the night I killed off my villain