A new trend has hit the RP community on Twitter: posting 100 facts about RL - real life, the person behind the character. As some may imagine, this can really boost a person's tweet count. I also thought it would make for an interesting blog entry, so here I go!
1. I'm left handed.
2. I have ADD and wasn't diagnosed until college.
3. I've worn glasses since I was in third grade.
4. I've never been able to wear contacts; I just can't get them in my eyes. Of course, the only time I tried was in middle school. Maybe I could do it now.
5. I love writing. It is my passion. I have always identified myself as a writer.
6. I love animals and have always owned pets. I spent two summers in middle school as an intern of sorts with a veterinarian.
7. At one time, I owned thirty-eight pets, all in a trailer house. The tally was: five fish in a 50 gallon tank, three jumbo sized rats (best rodents EVER!), two to seven mice (worst rodents ever; hard to identify sex), three to five hamsters of various types, two gerbils we wanted to get rid of - those bastards bite, a ferret I wish we still owned, four dogs, three cats, a guinea pig, two finches, two parakeets, a cockatoo, a beta fish, and two rabbits.
8. I love wearing sweaters. Mom used to have to box up my sweaters every summer because if she didn't, I'd keep on wearing them,
9. I didn't like Pepsi until my senior year of high school. A senior class trip to Medieval Times had me drinking the only soda they had, Pepsi, and I found out I actually enjoyed it as my taste buds had changed.
10. I'm a dog person. Always have been.
11. After high school, I briefly enlisted in the US Navy. It didn't work out; I only made it through three weeks of the eight week boot camp. The "mind games" were just too much for me to take. Those were easily the longest three weeks of my life.
12. I arrived at boot camp the day before Thanksgiving and made it home in time to celebrate Christmas.
13. I've been in two relationships that lasted longer than a year. Only one was sexual and it was with a woman.
14. I'm an incredibly logical person and pride myself on that fact.
15. I've been likened to an absent minded professor and am completely okay with that comparison.
16. I have to, HAVE to, have at least six and a half hours sleep to function properly through the day. Five hours to function at all.
17. The fastest way to get me to speak up, be assertive, etc. is to put me with a misbehaving child. I expect obedience from them and make sure I get it. I'm actually pretty good with kids, or believe myself to be.
18. I have automatonophobia, an illogical fear of automatons, wax figures, humanoid robots, or other figures designed to represent humans. I discovered this fear while touring a mental health museum that had once been a hospital. The two rooms Mom and I were standing between housed over two dozen wax figures and the display on phobias was down the hall. Pretty ironic timing.
19. I enjoy studying and researching. In eighth grade, I researched the Holocaust for an entire year simply to learn exactly how Hitler came into power because someone else wanted to know.
20. I've leash trained all my dogs by myself and walk them, on average, two miles a day
21. I was in the same school district from second grade through ninth grade.
22. I like red hair on guys and girls. Five of my previous partners have been red-heads.
23. I got a tattoo when I was twenty-one. It's on my left calf, about the size of my palm. It's a Celtic heart design based on a necklace I own. I decided on the tat when I was sixteen and it took five years for the money to get saved up and a fair price to be found. I've never regretted it and now want to get inked again.
24. I got my bellybutton pierced when I was sixteen, didn't keep it clean, and had it re-done about a year ago.
25. When I got my bellybutton re-done, I got my left eyebrow pierced as well. I wasn't told it would hurt to go through the scar tissue of my bellybutton until it was too late.
26. I've had my ears pierced since I was a baby. I don't wear earrings often at all.
27. I'm allergic to most metals and can only wear jewelry that's sterling silver, 24K gold, plastic, or titanium. Makes shopping for jewelry hell. This allergy was the reason my first bellybutton piercing was unsuccessful - I was allergic to the surgical steel.
28. I've had my hair cut almost in a buzz - all I had was bangs and the rest was cut down to maybe a quarter inch I think?
29. I have hypoglycemia, which is the exact opposite of diabetes. Whereas a diabetic's body can't make insulin, my body can't make glucose/blood sugar as well.
30. I used to have asthma.
31. I was born three months premature. I was 2 pounds 1 1/4 ounces and was 12 inches long.
32. The first letter I learned was 'E.'
33. Because I had to have needles stuck in my heels as a baby for blood tests, I still walk on my toes more often than my heels.
34. I played clarinet from sixth grade through high school and need to pick it up again.
35. I was in marching band in high school and loved it.
36. I still like some kids shows, specifically Arthur, Wishbone, and Reading Rainbow.
37. I love the 90s Nickelodeon shows and miss them all.
38. My favorite book has always been The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. The movies don't do it justice in the slightest.
39. I love re-reading books, something that completely baffles my mother.
40. I enjoy drawing, but have no significant skill at it.
41. I know how to dress for my body and can easily transition, wearing completely different looks from day to day. Despite this, I prefer comfortable clothes and classic cuts. My standard look is still jeans and t-shirts, though I am pulling some nice blouses into my look instead of the t-shirts.
42. One of the weirdest shows I've watched and enjoy watching regularly is Taboo. It, too, grosses my mother out. I like learning about the perspective other people, cultures, nations, etc. have on some every day things like death, marriage, coming of age ceremonies, etc.
43. I've got a pretty quick wit and a well-developed sense of humor and sense of sarcasm. It normally takes time for me to relax enough for people to see this.
44. I've recently gotten hooked on the game Sudoku.
45. I like reality tv shows that teach things. Taboo, My Strange Addiction, Project Runway, Top Chef, Intervention, Solitary, etc.
46. One of my favorite genres of music is showtunes.
47. I love being in the water, but can't swim.
48. I can grow my nails (fingers and toes) fairly long. My toenails have actually gotten so long in the past that I've cut my toes.
49. I've never bitten my nails.
50. A habit I've done most of my life is often thought to be biting my nails. I'm actually running the smooth edge of my nail across my top lip. Mom tells me I've done it since I was a toddler.
51. When I was young, a stranger creeped into our apartment, climbed over two of my sleeping brothers, and moved to me. I woke up and screamed, scaring whoever it was off before anything happened. From that day to this, I refuse to sleep in a bed that's pushed against a window.
52. I fall asleep and wake up in the same position every night/morning - fetal position, right side, facing a wall.
53. I do move in my sleep and always have except for times when I'm exhausted.
54. The only time I nap during the day is when I'm sick. It's usually one of the most telling signs that I'm sick.
55. I run a low grade fever. Any time I'm sick, my temperature 99% of the time sits squarely on 96.8 degrees exactly.
56. My favorite flowers are sunflowers and thistles. For the more typically "romantic" flowers, I like peach and yellow roses to red.
57. As a little girl, I once stepped on a burning cigarette butt.
58. I've never had to have surgery.
59. My boxer's fracture (described above) was the first time I broke a bone. Since then, I've broken both little toes. No major breaks yet.
60. When I'm feeling nauseous, I try to get sick because I feel better afterward.
61. I love going to art museums and have been doing so since I was around age four.
62. I love interactive science museums and would love to go to one now at age twenty-three.
63. Every car I've had including my first has been pre-owned.
64. The first car I bought with my own money died in the same month I made the last payment.
65. Every car I've owned has been a Ford. I'm beginning to sense a pattern.
66. I've never owned a car made in the same decade I was living in at the time I owned the car.
67. I didn't get my license until I was eighteen.
68. At twenty three, I still carry my under twenty one license because it hasn't expired yet.
69. I passed out in the Capitol building, under the rotunda, because I locked my knees while we were listening to the tour guide.
70. I've been to NYC twice, but didn't get to do many touristy things. Mom and dad were on a talk show.
71. I've traveled to Mexico on a mission trip with my youth group.
72. I once saved up money to pay for half of a VCR I wanted. My parents agreed to pay the other half. My allowance at the time was $2 per week and I saved every penny once we made our deal.
73. Our electricity went out at the stroke of midnight Jan. 1, 2000. I freaked out.
74. I don't gross out easily at all. At home, I'm the one who gets to clean up bodily fluids from people and pets and I once worked as an aide in a nursing home.
75. Through my life, I've tended to hit trends later than everyone else. I think the only ones I hit while they were still huge were Pokemon cards, Pogs, and Beanie Babies.
78. I still own all three of the above collections. I think I have a Furby somewhere too. My GigaPets/Tamagotchis/NaNo Pets have all gone away.
79. I've studied the religion of Wicca and have managed my own personal blend of beliefs between this and Christianity.
80. I raised goats for FFA shows my freshman and sophomore years of high school.
81. I got out of FFA and my dream of being a veterinarian when our move and my change of schools led to ag classes where nothing was taught.
82. I've only changed my major once in college, moving from English to Theater after my first year of school.
83. I started school in Fall of 06. If all goes as it should, I'll graduate in Fall of 11.
84. I've only been suspended from school once and it happened in college. This episode was what led to my diagnosis of ADD.
85. I took ballet and gymnastics classes as a very young child. Because of finances, I had to stop.
86. I don't like the cold at all. Winters are no fun.
87. My learning style is kinesthetic, visual, then auditory. First, I remember things that involve movement, then what I've seen, then what I've heard. Sometimes, when taking tests, I will picture my notes in my mind and can tell exactly what the page with the needed info on it looks like.
88. I don't wear jewelry often. When I do, I will generally pick specific pieces that I'll wear for days, weeks, months at a time.
89. One of my favorite classes was creative writing in seventh grade.
90. I've participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) every year since 2006 but have never made it to the halfway mark on the required word count. The closes I got was this past year.
91. I've always named my cars. Current vehicle, my 86 Ford Mustang is Johnny Five.
92. I'm incredibly diplomatic by nature. This drives a lot of people nuts.
93. I'm stubborn and I know this doesn't help me. I don't always gain all the knowledge I need before considering myself a "pro."
94. I throw and hit better with my right hand than my left.
95. Fuck is my favorite swear word. I started swearing at age sixteen.
96. I like food fights. They used to be a sort of family tradition and a favorite for birthdays.
97. I don't have the best sense of direction and use landmarks to know where I'm heading.
98. I have to fight to keep weight on my body. Every semester, my weight drops near the end and I have to spend breaks re-gaining weight so that I'm not underweight.
99. I know the alphabet in sign language.
100. My wisdom teeth still haven't come in, though I'm missing teeth in the back, upper row on both sides, which I hope will mean my wisdom teeth can grow in.